Our Story

For our story please see the post from December 5th.

Ser·en·dip·i·ty - 1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. 2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries. 3. An instance of making such a discovery.

Red Thread - Ancient Chinese Proverb - An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We're Here

We're Here

We arrived in Beijing yesterday around 3:00 in the afternoon. We started off the morning bright and early and Everest popped out of bed when the alarm went off. He said to me, "Ma, ya know the coolest thing about today?" "No Everest I don't (me still asleep and in denial about this whole China thing)." "Well Ma, the coolest thing about today is everything about today."

The flight in was actually somewhat tolerable. About two hours into the flight, wine in hand, I said to Ryan - "Hey, I am actually enjoying this a bit." I spoke way too soon. Luckily the plane was a bit empty in the back and before we took off the flight attendent (I love United flight attendents) said to the guy next to me that he could head back to a row with less people, which gave Ryan and I the fourth seat in the middle of the aisle. Everest's eyes were closed before the plane took off. VICTORY. But a short lived victory as he only slept a short time. After a few hours Everest was over the "everything is the coolest" and was ready to get off the not so cool anymore plane. Insert whining, some tears, fidgeting, etc. He was incredibly over tired and I was ready to be off. I can't blame him. He did manage to sleep again for a bit more and gave Ryan and I a much needed break.

When we landed we were met by our Bethany representative, Joy, who was like an oasis. She remembered us and of course remembered Everest. She pointed at my hair, "Ah, you cut your hair."

I think that people are disappointed that Mr. Chunhui no longer speaks Mandarin. I told Joy that Everest was too naughty to be in Chinese school. She said, "Ah yes, I read the first and 6 month reports."

We got to the hotel and Ryan went to the grocery store. We tried to make two bowls of noodles with our kettle. Everest fell asleep before his was done. You will notice that I said the word, "try." We were not too successful. Between the two of us we have five higher education degrees. One would think we could make instant noodles. Everest could have done it better. Pizza Hut was the answer.

Which brings us to the morning and when I say morning I use the word very loosely as it was 3:00 in the morning when Everest decided that he had enough sleep and was ready to explore Beijing. No amount of explaining could deter him. He managed to lay (and not lay still) until 5:30. Seriously. And I need to add that during this brief interlude of sleep he decided he needed to poop. Not once but on two separate occasions. What kid poops twice during the night?!? I mean, you seriously have to go bad to wake up once let alone twice.

This morning we were not the first down for breakfast suprisingly. There were other crazies among us. Everest in his Spiderman jammies with fried noodles and dim sum. The kid is taking full advantage of the food here.

We ran to the grocery store again and then set out to explore a bit. We went to Beihai Park, which was one of our favorites from the last go around. Everest seemed to be taken with all of the Chinese children. He wanted to play with them and seemed to be excited that they all looked like him. His excitement about being here in general has been fun for us. He wants to see "China buildings, China people...and eat noodles." He is doing all of that.

We also had our first squatty potty experience today. Everest was somewhat mortified. He does not remember them. You know it's bad when a 6 year old with no qualms about hygeine let's out a cry. This one was BAD. There was pee all over. I know it was pee because there was not a sink where any other water could have come from. As Everest got ready to pee I told him to hit the potty. In hindsight, he could have just let loose on the walls and it wouldn't have looked any different in there. I squatted like a champ.

I have to admit there was a certain amount of denial that came with coming on this trip. Everything about the last trip was hard. So, so hard. However, this time Ryan and I both feel a certain sense of calm. I don't know what it is. Familiarity? I woudn't think so. Beijing is anything but familiar. I feel somewhat that it is a trip of redemption for us. Look at us, we did it. Look at our son, he is incredible. I have personally never been more proud of Everest in my life as I have been thus far on our trip.

The stares started as soon as we were at our gate at O'Hare and continued obviously when we arrived in Beijing. It is hard to read the stares. I know that a lot of the stares are because he is cute, regardless of the nationality of his parents. Other stares are of a curious sort. Why is that boy with those parents? I also can't help thinking that there could be animosity. I did not feel this way when we were here before but now I feel it. Maybe it is my imagination. Maybe I am tired. No wait, I am totally tired.

The stares just make me more proud. Look a us, we did it. Look at our son, he is incredible.

Tomorrow is another day of roaming around the city. Thursday morning we are getting up early (suprise, suprise) and heading to the orphanage to meet Kingston. After seeing Everest interact today with the children, I look even more forward to bringing Kingston into our lives. I know we made the right decision. However, I will likely need to be reminded of this as the trip continues.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!! you guys are awesome!!!! will be praying for you as you met Kingston. You have done amazing and will continue to. Wait till shiyan sees all of you and how far you have come! Can't wait to follow more! I am living through you for the next 2 weeks so keep the blogs coming :)

    ReplyDelete