Our Story

For our story please see the post from December 5th.

Ser·en·dip·i·ty - 1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. 2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries. 3. An instance of making such a discovery.

Red Thread - Ancient Chinese Proverb - An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

And we meet

It's now the 27th of Oct. For the past two days we've been out and about. Going to parks, walking around, seeing the sights. Everest is having a hard time adjusting to the jet lag. He'll do fabulously in the morning and then by 1:00ish he is fading. The first full night of being here he fell asleep around 3 in the afternoon, we managed to wake him for a half an hour and then he slept the whole night through until after 7. Of course now we are dealing with a kid whose sleep system is just all messed up. When he is supposed to be sleeping he is awake. When he is supposed to be awake he is sleeping. I think that meeting Kingston today has taken care of some of that.

Last night we managed to keep Everest up through dinner. We went to the Union Bar and Grill on Sanlitun Street. We learned last time that Sanlitun Street had a connotation of putting back a few beers. Well of couse we had to check it out. When you tell a cabbie you are headed there they giggle and make a motion with their hands like they are drinking. However, Sanlitun has some awesome surroundings. They have a big mall that has stores that we don't have at home (Super Dry Uniglo), as well as some good Western style restaurants. Ryan and I went there the night before we met Everest so we felt it fitting to do the same the night before Kingston.

We've been having issues getting cabs if we are not at our hotel. Either the cabs drive right by or they gouge us. We've figured out a workaround where I stand on the street looking desperate. I hand the cabbie the card to the hotel and while he is looking I flag over Ryan and Everest and we barrel into his cab before he has a chance to say no or $30. Ha take that!

So what you are all waiting for...the introduction of Kingston. Let's just say that it is 2:45 in the afternoon and since 4:00 this morning I honestly aged 5 years and counting. I woke up to Ryan telling Everest to go to sleep. I handed Ryan one of my earplugs and then both of them were asleep within minutes. And then I was awake. Thanks. I got up a little while later and hung out in the bathroom by myself. I thought that it would give Ryan and Everest extra time to sleep and give me time alone to think. So I stood there and thought. I thought mainly about what I was going to wear to meet my son. How stupid is that? Probably very. Actually I know very, however, there seemed to be nothing more important at 4:30 in the morning. I put on a pink shirt that I had gotten at Gap a few years ago. I always thought it was of a large feather. However, as I was looking in the mirror I noticed it was a lady with hair all over the place. I thought, mmm...she looks like a little erotic....is this appropriate to meet one's son?!? I decided it was just fine.

Everest and Ryan popped up this morning and Everest did not happen to notice the erotic looking lady on my shirt. Ryan did not either.

We headed to breakfast and then met Joy, our guide. It was an interesting morning because we went to the orphanage instead of meeting Kingston at our hotel as we had met Everest. It was about a 45 min. drive. I think Ryan and I were both somewhat nervous but through this whole ordeal I have been calm. Too calm. Scary calm. We took some pictures on the road in and we arrived. I blocked out all thoughts that would registrer tears and we waited. What was the most emotional for me at the time was that Everest grew up there and that I was seeing Everest's home before ours. That is a powerful thing. We started signing papers and Kingston arrived. He does not look like our pictures at all. Wondering if he is the right kid. Don't have time to register because Everest is already in his grill. Kingston is crying. Kingston stops crying once the nannies open up a chocolate bar to which Everest wonders why he does not have a chocolate bar. We promise Everest a chocolate bar. My first reaction as Kingston's size. He. is. so. small. TINY. It is like he is a little walking infant. Not sure what size clothing he will wear. We will see tomorrow when we get him in his clothes that we brought. He has some fabulous socks on though. He would not have anything to do with us at first and then the orphange director came in. We took some pictures and he handed Kingston to Ryan. Kingston didn't seem to have an issue. We took some more pictures. Joy told us it was time to go and Ryan handed Kingston to me. Apparently he said, "Momma, let's go." All mandarin speaking people laughed and away we went. We climbed in the van and with great fanfare Kingston proceeded to vomit the teddy graham crackers that we had given him all over himself and Ryan. Everest started wailing. I cleaned up. That's what moms do afterall. Ryan had puke in the pocket of his hooded sweatshirt, which I am not going to lie kinda makes me laugh. We took pictures, went to the bank and came back to the hotel. We realized that Mr. Kingston wears diapers. WHAT?!? Oh boy learning curve there.

We witnessed Everest grow up in front of our eyes. We started to see that our second born son has the tendency to be a little sh!t but then again so was Everest. We are being tested already and there have been a couple of fake spits at us. Sorry skinny you are not match for us.

Amongst all of this, I am sad. I am so sad. I think that Kingston will be great. I think he seems like he has a funny little personality but I am already sad for the threesome that we were that we are no longer.

I better get upstairs. We went and got diapers, Tsingtao and Great Wall red wine. To those of you reading who may decide or decide not to adopt from China after reading this, do not let your husband buy you red wine that simply says on the label, "China Red Wine." It will make you want to get back on a plane and head back to the US immediately.

Pictures to follow tomorrow if I can muster up the energy.

Love from China,
The Lentz Family of Four

No comments:

Post a Comment